As part of Dubai Cares' ongoing Ramadan campaign 2015 titled "We Can Teach Each Other", which aims to promote a first-of-a-kind skill exchange between children in impoverished communities and school-going children from around the world, the organization today visited the Kindergarten Starters School in Dubai to engage UAE students and bring the campaign concept to life.
The activity saw school students gather to learn from a boy from Tanzania how to make a kite from a plastic bag. Students worked in groups under the supervision of their teachers to create the kites. In return, the UAE students drew and colored the letters of the alphabet in an effort to help teach children in developing countries to read. A selection of these letters will be included in a first of its kind ABC Book that will be distributed in English, Arabic and French in some of the organziation's beneficiary countries.
A Dubai Cares representative present at the school activity said: "We were impressed with the enthusiasm of students at the Kindergarten Starters School today. They were very excited throughout the activity, they enjoyed watching the video of the Tanzanian boy demonstrating how to make a kite, making the kites as well drawing the letters which they knew were going to help a child in need to read."
Dubai Cares "We Can Teach Each Other" Ramadan campaign 2015 emphasizes the abundance of talent and resourcefulness amongst children in developing countries, as well as the responsibility of the international community to help empower these children through education. The campaign looks at a sample of children from different contexts in developing countries who showcase their life skills and aptitudes through making crafts such as wearable items and toys using various simple material such as disposable bags, old shoes, plastic and clothes, as well as natural resources such as tree leaves and twigs.
The UAE community can support Dubai Cares Ramadan campaign through:
- Donating via SMS by sending the word "donation" to 9030, 9090, 9300, 9600 and 9900 to donate AED 30, AED 90, AED 300, AED 600 or AED 900 respectively through our Official Telecom Partner Etisalat
- Donating at our mall activity at the Waterfall Atrium in The Dubai Mall from June 16 to July 6
- Making online donations at www.dubaicares.ae
- Conducting personal fundraising activities in support of Dubai Cares through www.justgiving.com/dubaicares. "Just Giving" is an online charity platform where people can raise money for a cause
- Making a direct financial donation through bank deposit to Dubai Cares' account or with a cheque addressed to Dubai Cares
- Dropping your contributions at donation boxes placed in various locations throughout Dubai.