The “Dubai Cares Girls’ Education Campaign 2011”, which aims to provide girls in developing countries with access to quality primary education, is receiving tremendous support from the UAE business community, including leading UAE-based organizations across the banking, telecommunications and information technology, hospitality, retail and media sectors. Within the first two weeks of the launch, nearly 1,000 businesses and retail outlets have pledged to support the campaign, which will run throughout the Holy Month of Ramadan.
Organizations partnering with Dubai Cares in support of its “Girls’ Education Campaign 2011” include Al Aqili Furnishings, Amwaj Rotana, Arabian Radio Network (ARN), Aswaaq, Axiom Telecom, The Body Shop, Chalhoub Group, Devji Aurum, du, Dubai Investments, Emaar Retail, Emarat, Emirates NBD, Etisalat, Hilton Hotel, HSBC Bank, Jacky's Electronics, Jumeirah Rotana, Kitkat®, Landmark Group, Lulu Hypermarket, Al Manama Group, Marriot Business Councils, Mashreq Bank, M.H. Alshaya Co., Al Maya Group, NESTLE® NIDO® Fortified Full Cream Milk Powder, NStyle Nail Lounge, OMD, Paris Gallery, Pitter Patter, The Ritz Carlton, Rose Rayhaan by Rotana, Sadia, Spinneys, Al Tayer Group, Waitrose and Zawya – Your new local supermarket.
Children of women who have completed primary school are 40% less likely to die before the age of five , yet of the 69 million children out of school , an estimated 42 million are girls .
Tariq Al Gurg, Chief Executive Officer at Dubai Cares said, “None of what we have achieved so far would have been possible without the support of the UAE community - individuals, government entities and private sector organizations alike. Beginning with our launch fundraising campaign in 2007 and continuing with our subsequent initiatives, the business community across the Emirates has contributed towards the success of our primary education programs worldwide. This year the response has been overwhelming and, as a result, we have increased our donation channels as compared to previous years.”
“With nearly 1,000 businesses and retail outlets already supporting our campaign, some for the very first time, and with two weeks left, we hope to receive more support from the community to help us improve the lives of as many girls as possible around the world”, added Al Gurg.
Sadia, for example, is promoting the campaign by placing the Dubai Cares logo and messages on girls’ education on all its products. Emaar Retail LLC is hosting a summer-long campaign which will run across all its leisure attractions in The Dubai Mall and Dubai Marina Mall throughout Ramadan and conclude after Eid Al Adha. At The Dubai Mall, Dubai Cares invites mall visitors to its stand, located in the Star Atrium, to help build a mock classroom that will remain on display throughout the month of Ramadan. For AED 50, visitors can purchase book-shaped bricks that will be used to build the classroom – the funds raised will go towards girls’ education programs. The goal is to complete the classroom, which requires 2000 book bricks, by the end of Ramadan.
Another example is the Dubai Cares’ Point of Sale (POS) Promotion, where customers are given the opportunity to choose to donate AED 5 or more to purchases made at any of the Landmark Group Outlets in the UAE among other participating outlets.
The UAE community, both individuals and corporate organizations can get involved in this campaign by:
- Adding AED 5 or more to their purchase at participating retailers throughout the UAE. A list of participating outlets can be found on www.dubaicares.ae/girlseducation
- Shopping at participating retailers in order to increase the sales of the retailer and thereby contributing to the increase in the total contribution to Dubai Cares either in terms of percentage of the sale of a specific item or the store's total sales during a specific timeframe
- Visiting Dubai Cares’ interactive stand at The Dubai Mall and buying bricks to build a mock classroom (the goal is to complete the classroom by the end of the campaign)
- Donating through SMS by sending the word “Donation” to the following Etisalat and Du numbers: 9030, 9090, 9300, 9600, 9900
- Buying customized Dubai Cares branded products from Patchi, Nstyle and Dubai Duty Free
- Making online donations at www.dubaicares.ae
- Making a direct financial donation with a cheque addressed to Dubai Cares
- Dropping their contributions at donation boxes placed in different locations throughout Dubai
- Individuals can contribute by visiting participating supermarkets and hypermarkets to purchase products carrying the Dubai Cares logo in addition to having the option of adding AED 5 or more to their grocery bill
- Community members who are customers of Emirates NBD can make donations through any of the bank’s ATM’s/CCDM’s in the UAE and by using their debit cards to make purchases.
- Community member who are customers of Mashreq Bank can make donations through online banking.
Dubai Cares continues to receive partnership requests from the UAE business community who wish to participate in the campaign.